End of an era

Asleep_medium Larry 640 Posts

Makes me almost sad.

Final Xela Album

Oh, forgot to ask.  Any chance of vinyl John?

Custom_xelabw-crop_medium John 650 Posts

Originally it was supposed to be on vinyl, but it's the wrong length (plus it's continuous) - I tried chopping it down but it never sounded right. So a digital freebie it is - rather that than a CD, I think.

Hemingway-cat_medium Hemingways_Cat 419 Posts

Sounds great.  But surely this topic should be titled 'Start of a New Era.' :)

Vlcsnap-151156_medium Wombat_9000 221 Posts

Ah end of an era indeed. Xela was one of those acts I somehow stumbled across early in high school - I honestly can't remember how it happened - when I was moving beyond a lot of the drivel that dominated my middle school years (Lincoln Park and The Offspring, anyone?) that seriously opened my eyes/ears to what was out there, along with bands like Tarentel and Sigur Ros and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Hearing a bunch of those acts starting when I was around 14 or 15 was a total gateway for me in terms of what I began listening to and, eventually, in terms of the stuff I tried to make myself. It was important, to say the least. Anyway, thanks a ton for the tunes, John. Excited to see what's next.

By the way, how does one actually pronounce Xela??

Custom_xelabw-crop_medium John 650 Posts

re: pronunciation - the truly correct pronunciation requires a black country inflection, but its 'zehlah' NOT (as most people think) 'zeelah'

glad you've enjoyed the tunes, there will be more to come... just not as xela.

Z is for Zehlah.  Now you've said that I can hear it in a Tipton accent.

1-d43a39994bfd912b_medium John Zorn 469 Posts

It's strange, but this album would have more weight and "worth" for me, if it'd be available on a physical format. I still associate freebies with music of second order. I know it's stupid, but I can't switch this feeling off...so, really no chance of an LP-Edition? May be a laser etching on the d-side or something like that?...the second track is so great

Bunny_medium jantz 193 Posts

sort of a bummer to see Xela laid to rest. The Dead Sea was the record that expanded my interest in mainstream electronic music into a much wider swath.

Not many people seem to mention this gem, but Tangled Wool has always been the pick of the bunch for me!

Couple1_medium aleks 132 Posts

well, you still be making music.

Couple1_medium aleks 132 Posts

a physical release for the last xela record would have been great though.

100_3326_medium James 217 Posts

Well I appreciated the gesture John, thanks

Yeah, Tangled Wool all the way for me.  New stuff going under a new name then John?  https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119027308109696

6145651418982f54cfa096957df3f14e_medium Orphax 1053 Posts

RIP Xela Long Live John!!!
Hallee 

Gonna download and listen to it

Desire-path-recordings-logo_medium micvee 105 Posts

it's a great work. onward!

Loving the Dunwich Dreams 7", especially b-side - thanks for the upload, John.  Great to finally get a chance to hear this one!

Bunny_medium jantz 193 Posts

i'm sure i'm not the only one thinking it, but now that the moniker is officially deceased, it's probably about time to start thinking about some kind of reissue series or enormous commemorative box set. :-)